Thursday, June 21, 2007

Matsumoto Castle!

Last saturday I jumped on a train and headed over to the city of Matsumoto (about 1 1/2 hour by train west of Kofu). I heard there was a fantastic black & white castle there, so I had to see it for myself...here is some pictures I took, enjoy!

The main road was lined with traditional Japanese shops

I discovered a quaint side street lined with vegetable shops & small craft stores.
I sat down at a little coffee shop here that was playing 1930's swing music & had a cappaccino.

Continuing on towards the castle, I discovered,
tucked between two modern cement buildings,
an old temple that had been converted into an antique book shop.

As I approached the castle,
I saw two school girls eraptured by the golden carp ...
...and two beautiful swans basking in the afternoon sun.
Then I saw the castle!

I went inside the castle, climbed its five floors
and was presented with this stunning view from the top.

In my journey to the top of the castle I saw many ancient samurai swords, guns, & armor
as well as everyday items such as bowls, tea pots & hair combs displayed within.

I then walked from the castle, across a beautiful red bridge, to the
tree-covered park surrounding the castle.

Looking back on the castle,
I saw the two white swans, that I had seen before,
swimming gracefully by.

But, the sun was getting low and I had to return back on the train to Kofu...

...so, I took one last long glance at the beautiful
black & white castle & bid it goodnight.

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, I say: You should be a travel writer! xox Mom