Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Need to Make a Change

I really feel that I have to make a dramatic change in my life. Its almost if I have become someone I don't recognize. Now that I have this great situation and great job with great pay I have started to let go of some of the values I used to hold dear. I used to be proud of the fact that I didn't have techonology - no computer, internet, cable, or cell phone - and, yet, I was able to get so much joy out of life. Now I have all these things and, suddenly, I feel the joy sliping away.

Yes, I have had some amazing experiences here traveling. But, I have also come to be spending more and more time alone with my technology. In particular, the internet has become a problem for me. Basicly, I think I may have become addicted to it. I spend far too much time doing searches, blogging (yes I know you all love it, but it does take up my time) and watching videos on youtube.

I have so many goals that I have put on the back burner. For example, taking a yoga class, spending more time studying Japanese, keeping up with more people here, getting more excercise (dear oh dear, I have gained almost 10 pounds since coming to Japan), catching up on my reading, etc.

So I have decided to take a dramatic step (because I find that dramatic steps are the only thing that work for me). I am going to be cancelling my internet service at home. It is going to suck for me. I will feel really annoyed at first. But, I hope it will push me towards doing all those things I have been meaning to do while here.

What it will mean for all of you who I care about and love so much, is that I won't be able to keep in contact with you as frequently. I will have access to the internet at the Kencho (government office), but, unfortunately, they have a firewall there that prevents me from posting on my blog (I will be able to still use email there though).

I know many of you have come to love my little posts on here and I am really sorry about this. I can always send you little updates through email from the Kencho, every now and again. Please know that I am still thinking of you all very much and I am doing this so I can have more adventures and, just in general, be a healthier person.

Love to you all.

Grace

3 comments:

Dharma bum said...

Best of luck Grace. I'll miss your great posts. Remember me when sending those bulk emails. I'll email you soon (when I have a spare moment) and tell you whats goin' on in the 604. Take good care.
Peace and Love,
Chris

Kachina Treasure Hunter said...

You will be missed!! Those great photos and inspiring tales.
SUGGESTION:)- At the end of the day write down on a note pad (not your blog)ONE or TWO sentences about the day- eg: "As I rode home after a great day teaching I noticed the beautiful cherry blossoms and thought how blessed I am to be here doing what I'm doing" or " The students were terrible today , I'm learning patience." Take one photo a day only. ONCE A WEEK open your blog, plug in your camera, down load the best photos and type in the brief comments you wrote down. This would only take 15 to 30 min. tops a week. Another Suggestion:)- Sometimes during the day I will think of something I'd like to find out about on the internet, I write it down and when I get home I look it up and try not to follow all the links. (Like when I go to Costco I have a list and try to stick to it.I notice not too many people do this.) Set an alarm clock. "I will be on 30 min." Set the time and stick to it. It's like the old saying "Who's controlling who?" You-Tube is very entertaining, yes, but also very seductive. Little people getting a chance to show their talent. Great. But some of the stuff is very stupid. (Oh God, not the monkeys) I need the internet for my business but yet with one click I can be seeing things that don't feed my soul. I have put a note over my monitor that says, "Is what you're looking at healthy for your mind and soul?" What ever you do I know you will keep in touch some how. (Please don't forget to communicate with your mother)
All the best.
Lots of love. Your Dad.

Anonymous said...

Grace, good idea to do other things - like learning Japanese and getting more exercise - yoga, cycling etc (especially with better weather coming on) but please don't stop blogging entirely. Maybe once a week or once every two weeks at an internet cafe or something. I will miss your updates. It will be a good record of your journey for all to share. Love, Mom